If you use your computer for both personal and business activities, you may already know what your computer does when it is infected by a computer virus. Since these infections are meant to cause mayhem and disrupt your normal activities, you may see the signs and symptoms in advance if this ever happens to you. Whatever the case, here is some information about computer viruses that can help you to minimize and eliminate the malicious interruptions that they cause.
What Is a Computer Virus?
A computer virus can be described as software code that has been written with the intent to cause harm to a user’s computer. These programs are designed to take over the code in the user’s computer by changing how it normally functions. This code is both malicious and unauthorized access. It is also important to note that there are many different types of common computer viruses, which includes the following:
- Direct Action Virus
- Browser Hijacker
- Overwrite Virus
- Web Scripting Virus
- Boot Sector Virus
- Macro Virus
- Resident Virus
- Multipartite Virus
Each of these viruses is designed to perform different malicious activities. Therefore, it is important that you become familiar with each in order to understand the signs, symptoms, and the proactive measures that you can take in advance.
Signs and Symptoms of Computer Virus
Now that you know a little bit more about this type of infected software applications, it is important that you know how to spot and identify them easily too. For instance, when you see one or more of the following happening to your computer, you should take the appropriate action right away.
- Crashes and you see error messages
- High network activity
- Email is hijacked
- Suspicious hard drive activity
- Lack of storage space
- Missing files
- Unexpected pop-up windows. Difficult to stop, even when you X them out
- Slow start up and slow performance
How to Protect Your Computer
The best ways to eliminate and minimize these types of problems is to be proactive. In fact, here are a few practical ways that can help you to keep your computer safe and virus free.
- Make sure that you are installing the latest Anti-Virus/Malware Software.
- You should always pay close attention to the latest updates.
- Load the latest OS system – it is important to keep it current
- Your Network in your home and businesses must be secure from hackers.
- Run Scans for anti-virus software frequently
- Don’t Install Random Software Products that could have a virus